Saturday, January 21, 2012

Linux 101, Distro Transitions, Partitions, and Brief History

Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for! At least it is the case for myself. 

Lets start from where I left off last time. I'm not sure if it was a command at some point which I input that fixed the C compiler, but there definitely was a syntax error when I edited it I received the "Hello world" I needed. This January I started a class at my local college for Linux called "Intro to Linux 101". Our first assignment was to install a new OS. Luckily for me I was already planning on installing Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) Xfce, also already having Ubunty 11.10 (Unity) was a nice step forward. So when it was time to turn in a paper explaining what new OS we wanted to install to use while taking the class I already had all the info. =) Talk about easy, for once! Well, rather than installing LMDE I ended up having to install Blackbuntu; out of the blue.

The reason why I ended up installing Blackbuntu is not of importance right now. The reason I didn't install LMDE yet is I wanted to install it on a new desktop PC with a USB flash drive (I say new but this computer was built to run Windows 98 :S) For this new computer the option to boot from a USB flash drive is not possible, and that puts a damper on my original plans.

What I have decided to do is erase Unity, and replace it with LMDE while dual booting with Blackbuntu. Now, my hard drive on the netbook is only 160 gb, and I am planning on an upgrade in the near future. For now this is the plan. The Dell desktop (which is a DHP) needs to be connected to a router with an Ethernet cable to get an Internet connection before I can install the wireless capabilities. I will install the new OS by creating a disc for it. Except I doubt anything Ubuntu related is going on that now. Currently I am considering Fedora, and eventually down the road I hope to get experience with Debian. Mainly the reason I am leaving Ubuntu all together is I could never establish a strong Internet connection with Unity, and Blackbuntu is running perfectly. So, I have to just leave Ubuntu.

________________________________________________________________________________

In my first Linux 101 class meeting we discussed the history of UNIX™ being the origins of Linux. In the late 70's when DARPA and ARPTNET where in the first phases of creation, UNIX was the OS for very large heavy steal computers that could hold just kilobytes of memory and  were complicated to use. A team of developers at the time on a forum called "UseNet Forum" wanted a better environment to work with. At the time IBM was the big telecommunications company everyone used and ATT bought them out. ATT sold the source code of UNIX to Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie (K&D) for $500, and this is how UNIX began to branch apart. They developed several different versions of UNIX (similar to how there is Windows 98, XP, 7, etc) and this is where Linus Torvalds got a hold of it at The University of Helsinki.

Linus started Linux as a kernal and wanted to share his project with anyone who could and would help. Richard Stallman made the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and this is how Linux was created and kept Open Source.

______________________________________________________________________________

In our second class we discussed how to install our new operating system with much of the focus on the partitioning section.

/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

These are the sections that separate the different partitions within the 1st hard disk partition 1, 2, and 3. It stands for "Device Serial Disk". If it were to end in an "sdb1, sdb2, sbd3", then it would be partition 1, 2, and 3 within the 2nd hard disk.

To partition the hard disk you need to create them in three different kinds of folders. These are: /r00t, /swap, and /home.

I will have to write more in my next post about these only because the tempature in the class room was probably just above freezing, and I had so much trouble concentrating that all I really understood was that these three folder are created to save the files while building the OS, and that anything of the partitions that are either 5, 6, or 7 are called extended partitions.

You can read a little bit about how to install a Linux OS from a Linux OS in this page written just briefly by a friend of mine http://tinypaste.com/71e64bb1
_______________________________________________________________________________

I picked up another monitor and (so that equals a total of 3 using a netbook), and a professional keyboard and mouse. I also ordered this for my wireless Internet
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
It works like a charm I can't wait to try it on LMDE, and I wonder now how it would have done with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. This may come up again soon.

I may as well post a little tid bit I found very helpful this link will help you get auto completion in the Terminal. Thanks for reading I hope some of you enjoy and find it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment