Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Beginning Ubuntu Dec 2011

I am going to begin by telling you a little of myself and why I'm writing this blog.

2011
I got stuck with a netbook the last couple months as my main computer (May 2011). I say 'stuck' because it wasn't my original plan to have only a netbook as my main computer for so many months. Unfortunately events took place I could not ever pick up anything else until January 2012. In October 2011 I installed the Linux operating system Ubunut 10.04 on my netbook for the first time in my life. Up until then I had been a Windows girl, and my initial response to Ubuntu was not agreeable, at first, to say the least. I was quite unhappy, though I was completely willing to give it time because I had read so much good feedback about Linux.

First signs of "Trouble"
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit LTS. I spent a whole entire 5 days doing nothing else except work on my computer connecting to the internet. Unfortunately, I was not aware that I was not going to be having online access before I installed Ubuntu on my entire hard disk. This is when the "trouble" begin and I had to stop all of my projects instantly.

After 5 days I was so stressed out. I do administration work for a non-profit business online and this threw a wrench in everything. Finally someone suggested I try installing another version of Ubuntu. I tired the newest version 11.10 Ubuntu and it was successful. Yet, many other issues followed.

My webcam was unable to record sound, as well as the image was so delayed it was rendered useless even for videos without dialogue. I had issues with my mouse freezing sporadically. It would be working fine, then freeze...sometimes it wouldn't. I tried running every command I could find online and nothing was solving these issues. Also programs were not working properly that I had been using without issues on Windows.

I tried calling my computer company to reinstall Windows, but they wanted a cash settlement. It wasn't much, but I didn't have the extra money at the time, and maybe that was good thing.

So I begin to study Ubuntu. Little by little with the help of videos and various websites such as www.ubuntuforums.org I at least made it far enough to comfortably browse the web, download pictures and ebooks, though my original issues remained. Then I ran into a new problem. My computer begin automatically shutting off one day if it came unplugged for a few minutes. My internet connection suddenly became very shotty. Out of nowhere, while browsing, opening a new window would not connect saying:

"Server not connecting Page Not Loading"!

It was driving me CRAZY! Every time I was online I would have to load a page dozens of times and wait until a few minutes went by, sometimes even having to restart my computer-- maybe even twice, and then the page would load! So I got some ebooks on Ubuntu to figure this thing out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learning Step by Step
I like what I have learned about Ubuntu so far. I am reading, "Beginning Ubuntu Linux third edition by Keir Thomas". I like it so far. The history of how Linux began was very interesting. I decided I would make this blog as I accomplish my problems. I will have a new desktop soon, but I like what I have learned about Linux. I purchased a 19" monitor to plug into my netbook. I will purchase more RAM soon, and a piece of hardware that I think is burning out.

As I update this I hope to solve all my issues and more, having a very strong and secure netbook for future projects. Currently I am enrolled in a Network Fundamentals class at my college, as well as an Intro to Computer Systems, and Windows Server Administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment